March 1, 1767: Dover Township Chartered
British royal charter created Dover Township
On March 1, 1767, a section of Shrewsbury Township was relabeled as a new township, Dover, by a British royal charter.
The Village of Toms River was part of this township. The original township boundaries ran from the modern day Monmouth/Ocean County border to Oyster Creek, and then from the ocean to the Burlington County line.
Over the years, Dover Township would give up segments of its land to create several more townships, including Berkeley, Lacey, and Brick. Also worth noting is that Dover predated Ocean County by nearly 82 years.
The name of the Township of Dover would remain in place for 238 years, until township voters elected to change the name to the Township of Toms Riveron November 7, 2006. The name change became official a week later on November 14.