Invite a friend
"Education Under Fire" Documentary Screening
The public is cordially invited to a free showing of the
newly released Amnesty International documentary "Education Under Fire: The Denial of Education in Iran" on Saturday, November 24 from 2-4 p.m. at the Ocean County Library, 101 Washington Street, Toms River.
Education Under Fire is a campaign developed to address the Iranian government's denial of the right to education for ideological and religious reasons. Beyond the goal of encouraging specific action in order to mitigate the effects of these policies in Iran, the campaign seeks to begin conversations on university campuses and within communities around the country in order to raise awareness of and shine a light on the importance of defending Article 26 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, which guarantees education as an inalienable right of every human being.
The program on Nov. 24 will include a viewing of this 30-minute documentary, an update on the persecution of Baha'is in Iran, as well as a panel discussion and light refreshments. All are welcome.
More About Ocean County Library
The Ocean County Library serves over 540,000 resident's of Ocean County and has 22 branches.
The Toms River library was established in 1925 and was originally located in a small cottage on the property of the Courthouse. According to the website, currently over 1,900 people visit the library daily. The library is a large library with a variety of products and services. The focus is on children and the family. They host activities and programs. There is also a Dunkin' Donuts connected to the library. The library has a multi-purpose area for concerts, author visits and special events. There are conference and group study rooms, the grand reading room and the silent study tower room.
The Ocean County Library has been recognized as one of the best libraries in the country as it was awarded The John Cotton Dana award for Library Public Relations and the National Medal awarded by the Institute of Museums and Library Sciences.
Other events here
- Japanese Bonsai Trees Wed, May 22, 7:00 pm–8:00 pm
- Understanding Weight Loss: Is it for you? Thu, May 23, 7:00 pm–8:00 pm
- Personal Poetry for a Sea Glass Soul Tue, May 28, 7:00 pm–8:30 pm
- Toms River Talks: A Living Oral History Event Sat, Jun 1, 2:00 pm–4:00 pm
- Chapters of Health: Emergency Preparedness Mon, Jun 3, 2:00 pm–3:00 pm
- Open Mic Night at the Library March 5, 2013 / April 2, 2013 / May 7, 2013 / June 4, 2013 / July 2, 2013 / August 6, 2013 / September 3, 2013 / October 1, 2013 / November 12, 2013 / December 3, 2013 / January 7, 2014 / February 4, 2014 / March 4, 2014 / April 1, 2014, 6:30 pm–8:30 pm
- Women to Women: Breast Health Wed, Jun 12, 7:00 pm–8:00 pm
- Master Gardeners: Saltwater Flooding Fri, Jun 14, 10:00 am–11:00 am