Invite a friend
Hip Hop, History and Community Building
Arrested Development’s bassist, Isaiah Williams (“Za”), will talk about the power of Hip Hop and the positive impact that musicians can have on their community. Q&A session will follow discussion. Please register for this program.
The band Arrested Development made headlines in the early 1990s by performing consciousness raising hip hop music, like their hit song “Mr. Wendal”, which brought attention to the issue of homelessness. Their actions spoke as loudly as their lyrics when they donated half of the royalties of that song to the National Coalition of the Homeless.
More About Ocean County Library
The Ocean County Library serves over 540,000 resident's of Ocean County and has 22 branches.
The Toms River library was established in 1925 and was originally located in a small cottage on the property of the Courthouse. According to the website, currently over 1,900 people visit the library daily. The library is a large library with a variety of products and services. The focus is on children and the family. They host activities and programs. There is also a Dunkin' Donuts connected to the library. The library has a multi-purpose area for concerts, author visits and special events. There are conference and group study rooms, the grand reading room and the silent study tower room.
The Ocean County Library has been recognized as one of the best libraries in the country as it was awarded The John Cotton Dana award for Library Public Relations and the National Medal awarded by the Institute of Museums and Library Sciences.
Other events here
- Personal Poetry for a Sea Glass Soul Tue, May 28, 7:00 pm–8:30 pm
- Toms River Talks: A Living Oral History Event Sat, Jun 1, 2:00 pm–4:00 pm
- Chapters of Health: Emergency Preparedness Mon, Jun 3, 2:00 pm–3:00 pm
- Open Mic Night at the Library March 5, 2013 / April 2, 2013 / May 7, 2013 / June 4, 2013 / July 2, 2013 / August 6, 2013 / September 3, 2013 / October 1, 2013 / November 12, 2013 / December 3, 2013 / January 7, 2014 / February 4, 2014 / March 4, 2014 / April 1, 2014, 6:30 pm–8:30 pm
- Women to Women: Breast Health Wed, Jun 12, 7:00 pm–8:00 pm
- Master Gardeners: Saltwater Flooding Fri, Jun 14, 10:00 am–11:00 am