The Toms River First Aid Squad located at 11 Irons Street in Toms River states that its roots go back to 1930 with the organization of the Disbow-Davis Ambulance Association. The fund for an ambulance started by the widows of two Toms River physicians as a tribute to their memory. The physicians were Dr. Clarence Disbow and Dr. Henry Davis.
April 20, 1931, the Toms River First Aid Squad was formed to perform emergency ambulance services using the ambulance of the Disbow-Davis Ambulance Association. There were 21 charter members.
Then, in 1937 the Toms River First Aid Squad joined the New Jersey State First Aid Council in order to cooperate with general first aid work being performed around the state.
The Toms River First Aid Squad members have responded to some major historical events, including the SS Morrow Castle on September 9, 1934 and the airship Hindenburg disaster on May 6, 1937.