A fire that broke out Friday night caused extensive damage to a home in the East Dover section of Toms River, officials said.
Firefighters were called to 409 Buermann Avenue at about 6:15 p.m. Friday to the one-story, single family dwelling that was occupied when the fire broke out, said James Mercready, director of the Toms River Bureau of Fire Prevention. Fortunately, he said, no injuries were reported.
East Dover Fire Chief Richard Tutela directed the firefighting operation, which elicited a response from the East Dover, Island Heights and Toms River Fire Companies 1 and 2.
Inspector Charles Bauer conducted an investigation after the fire was extinguished and ruled the blaze accidental, saying it may have been caused by an unattended candle left burning in the living room.
Due to the extent of damage, the dwelling was posted as an unsafe structure and cannot be reoccupied until repairs are made, Mercready said. The American Red Cross responded to the scene to assist the home's occupant with relocation needs.