Firefighters arrived at a home in the township's Silverton section Tuesday night to find a garage fire, officials said.
Firefighters from the Silverton Fire Company were called to the home at 313 Stephan Avenue around 9:30 p.m., according to Jim Mercready, Director of the Toms River Bureau of Fire Prevention. The Pleasant Plains company as well as Toms River Fire Company No. 2 also responded.
"The fire was quickly extinguished, and was confined to the garage portion of the dwelling," said Mercready.
Fire Inspector Dominick Roselli and the township police department investigated the fire, which was ultimately ruled accidental. It is thought that energized electrical equipment may have been the cause, said Mercready. The home had also been flooded during Superstorm Sandy, which may have been a contributing factor to the cause of the blaze.
The home was allowed to be reoccupied after the fire, but repairs are still necessary, said Mercready.
Mercready said anyone whose home was flooded should have wiring, electrical components and devices inspected by a certified electrician and replaced if necessary.