An act of local government officially established the police force for the township, though it was just a formality so officers could receive the benefit of being in the State Patrolmen's Benevolent Association. Though there was certainly policing before, this ordinance created the department.
On June 23, 1933, the Township of Dover passed an ordinance establishing the Dover Township Police Department. The reason for the ordinance: it was necessary for the officers to be able to join the State Patrolmen’s Benevolent Association, according to the police department's history.
The ordinance made it official. At the time Toms River was called Dover Township, and had a population of 6,000.
In 1933, the Dover Township Police Department consisted of three regular Officers: Jack Costa, Delmar Johnson and Donald Grover. Henry Dunham served as the Chairman of the Police Committee.