.
News Alert
Heroin, Xanax Seized in Toms River After Cops…

'Unattended Cooking' Leads to Apartment Fire

Fire started in oven, officials say

Unattended cooking is being blamed for an oven fire in the Parkway Gardens apartment complex on Monday night, fire officials said late Tuesday.

Firefighters arrived at the apartment complex and found a smoke condition after they were electronically alerted by a central fire monitoring system that was installed in the building, said Jim Mercready, Director of Toms River Fire Prevention.

Mercready said two of the building's occupants had forced open the door to the unit where the smoke had accumulated and put the fire out with extinguishers.

Fire crews from Toms River Fire companies 1 and 2 responded and checked the apartment, unplugged the appliance and ventilated the building some residents could move back in, said Mercready.

Mercready said unattended cooking is a leading cause of fires in cooking equipment, and those who have to leave home should make sure all burners are turned off before they go.
Paul E Taylor Jr December 11, 2013 at 07:58 AM
IDIOTS
JFTR December 11, 2013 at 09:57 AM
^This is why I love the TR Patch. Interesting, thought provoking comments.
proud December 11, 2013 at 10:10 AM
^Quite.
Halpha2 December 11, 2013 at 11:13 AM
Guess they weren't that hungry.
grace December 11, 2013 at 01:42 PM
one of my fears is i will someday forget to turn off a pot as it boils away and then starts a fire.. dementia settin in soon i fear

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something