.

Beach Replenishment On Track For Toms River

No eminent domain proceedings have started yet, township officials say

Beach replenishment in Surf City during summer 2013. (Photo: Daniel Nee)
Beach replenishment in Surf City during summer 2013. (Photo: Daniel Nee)
Toms River's ocean beaches are still on track for a federally-funded replenishment project to begin this fall.

"As far as the DEP and the Army Corps are concerned, we are in a good position," said Paul Shives, township administrator.The project is contingent on the township – or state – obtaining easements voluntarily or through the eminent domain process for numerous properties along the oceanfront. The small slivers of land have been the subject of controversy as a few oceanfront residents have held out. Gov. Chris Christie has said all of the homeowners who do not sign easements will have them taken away through eminent domain proceedings.



The replenishment projects will build dunes in excess of 25-feet in height and beaches 200 feet wide. The protective dunes will prevent breaches and washovers like the ones that occurred during Superstorm Sandy which devastated communities such as Ortley Beach, officials have said.

Toms River has 40 easements to be voluntarily signed, Shives said. So far, township officials have 30 of them in hand.

"We’ll have them all by the time they’re ready to start," said Shives. "So far, we have not had to condemn any easements."

But if condemnation is needed, the township has hired an appraiser and other professionals who will help effectuate such a process.

"We’ve had an appraiser working on the balance of the easements, the 10 we don’t have," said Shives.

The replenishment project was originally announced by the Army Corps of Engineers to begin by the summer season, though it was ultimately pushed back to the fall. Shives said that the holdup, as far as the township has been notified, is due to agreements that have to be signed between the federal and state governments.

Recent rumors that the project has been put on hold are "patently false," Shives said.

Similarly, an Army Corps spokesman said such rumors are untrue and the project will proceed as scheduled.
Ortley March 18, 2014 at 09:10 AM
Jeff I went to town hall and my neighbor & I were told it's from Sandy Hook to IBSP inlet.....but we seem to be hearing different things. I guess time will tell and I hope it's not with another SS !
Bill Storm, March 18, 2014 at 09:21 AM
That picture is very deceiving. It gives the impression beach work is under way. But the article says work won't start till the Fall? Why use a picture of "work in progress" someplace else.
Mark March 18, 2014 at 01:00 PM
Can the Toms River Patch contact the NJ State DEP which is responsible for coordinating property acquisition & Attorney General's Office which is responsible for coordinating legal action to get current information concerning the easements for each municipality from P.P.B. to Berkeley Township?
FIMF the ll March 18, 2014 at 01:05 PM
Mark, some of those municipalities were posting the names of holdouts on their websites. I do not know if they're still up or current. On that particular barrier -or, peninsula as it were- I believe the highest concentration of holdouts was in Point Pleasant. Then, there's Mr Potter in the North Beaches.
Tara Lynn March 27, 2014 at 11:50 AM
There is a lot of debris washing up, still. Its amazing what has churrned up. Beach goers this year need to be cautious.

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »