Three longtime school board members, including a current and previous board president, have not filed for the April election though their terms are about to expire.
Board President Linda Garvey and former board presidents Betty Vasil and Meera Malik were each not listed as filing to run for the Toms River Regional School Board in an e-mail yesterday evening from Tammi Millar, district communications coordinator.
According to the Ocean County Board of Elections, the three board members' respective terms end this year.
There are 11 candidates running for the three spots on the school board for a three-year term, according to a list provided by Millar:
- Mary Ann Bageac of Cranmoor Drive
- Frank E. Rodgers II of Lincoln Avenue
- Karen M. Kenny of Broad Street
- Alexander Pavliv of Discovery Way
- Nels W. Luthman Jr. of New Jersey Avenue
- Brian J. Geoghegan of Longman Street
- Lester Kennett of Brand Road
- Hank Eisenhauer of Daffodil Court
- Loreen Torrone of Stonehedge Drive
- Stephen Galgon of Arlene Court
- Ben Giovine of Hedge Street
This year’s election falls on April 27. The deadline to file was 4 p.m. yesterday.
Garvey, currently serving as board president, previously served as vice president and was first elected to the school board in 1993. She is also a past president of the Ocean County School Board Association.
Malik, the school board president for 2002-2003, was first elected in 1993.
Vasil also was elected to the board of education in 1993. She has served as a former president and vice president of the board.
The Toms River Board of Education is comprised of nine elected members. Six are elected from Toms River Township, and one each from the boroughs of Pine Beach, Beachwood and South Toms River.