Column as submitted by Toms River Fire Prevention Bureau, Bob Yaiser:
Barbecuing Season is here.
Toms River Fire Prevention Bureau reminds residents to take several safety precautions to ensure a safe and enjoyable season.
- Do not smoke while handling the propane cylinder
- Do not leave cylinder in your vehicle
- Do not use lighters or matches to check for leaks
- Do not use, store, or transport your cylinder where it would be exposed to high temperatures ( this includes storing spare cylinders under or near the grill)
The Uniform Fire Code states Portable LP Gas Cooking equipment such as barbecue grills shall not be stored or used:
- On any porch,balcony ,or any other portion of a building:
- Within any room or space of a building
- Within five feet of any combustible exterior wall
- Within five feet, vertically or horizontally of an opening in any wall;or
- Under any building overhang
Safety begins with education, please make certain all who use the grill are familiar with it's safe operation and never let children use or come to close to a gas fired grill.
Have a safe and enjoyable summer
Please visit our web site for additional information www.trfireprevention.com
Toms River Fire Prevention Bureau