Can You Be A Little Greener?
Well, it’s not easy to live green all the time but it is easy to live a little greener. We are all racing around, busy with life and it can be daunting (and inconvenient) to live a totally green lifestyle.
That said, I’m challenging Patch readers to pledge to take one green action this week and stick to it. Here are my top 10 easy ways to green up your week. Feel free to comment - share your own tips, frustrations or successes on any green front!
- Actually bring in and use the reusable shopping bags at the grocery store. And the pharmacy, the mall, department store and farmers market.
- Keep the plastic baggies in your drawer at home. Pack lunches and snacks in reusable containers.
- Eat one plant-based meal this week. Or one additional if you’re already on this train.
- Walk or bike ride for your quick trip to the store, pharmacy, post office, library, etc.
- Recycle all your paper for one week – cracker/cereal boxes, random papers, flyers, circulars, junk mail – you know what to do.
- Avoid reaching for the disposable water bottle. Use your reusable water bottle every day.
- Switch off the power strip for your TV, computer, gaming devices when not in use. Or purchase a power strip, set it up and use it.
- Unplug cell phone chargers when not in use.
- Buy a curly bulb and replace an old bulb with one that is more energy efficient (and cost effective).
- Wash your clothes in cold water. Water heating consumes about 90% of the energy it takes to operate a clothes washer!
Thanks for reading and being a little greener.
“Action trumps everything” Len Schlesinger