First United Methodist Church of Toms River
Members of First United Methodist worshipped in Toms River's first church building, erected in 1828 on the "Old Burying Ground" at the southeast corner of Washington Street and Hooper Avenue. In the late sixties, the Methodist church and Evangelical United Brethren merged and purchased property on the current site.
Casual and involving all ages, First United Methodist services are enhanced by performances from a hand bell choir, praise team and separate choirs for adults, youth and children. Adult ministries include opportunities for women and men to experience fellowship, attend meals and contribute to global ministries involved in hunger and poverty relief, among other efforts. Whereas children get together for meals, recreation and games the church youth can participate in fundraisers, mission trips, retreats, sleepovers, ski trips, music events, movies and bowling. The First United Methodist Web site provides access to content from services, including the sermons and music, and features a youth blog.
- Hours: Traditional Worship: Sun, 8am, 11am. Comtemporary Worship: 9:30am in the Family Life Center.
- Handicap Accessible: The sidewalks are level with the parking lot.
- Founding Date: 1828
- Parking: Free lot
- Denomination: Christian, Methodist
- Services: Child care, Choir/music programs, Missionary programs, Study groups, Youth programs
- Recreational facilities: Yes